What does it really take to work at high velocity? Atlassian took this question as its own call to action and provides the answer in Jira Service Management, its next-gen successor to Jira Service Desk. Atlassian recognizes that being an effective digital enterprise means giving development, operations and business teams a way to better collaborate and manage their own ITSM needs. Atlassian describes it this way: “We reject the one-size-fits-all, command and control style workflow management common in many ITSM tools. Even teams that interact with IT – like legal, HR, and finance – can leverage Jira Service Management to build out their own service culture and service operations.”
Atlassian is giving organizations a new way of approaching the service desk, of managing incidents, fulfilling new requests and making changes. At Forty8Fifty labs we’re seeing how this approach is creating lean, high velocity ITSM. Teams across the enterprise can collaborate on service desk-related needs. Knowledge is no longer siloed; it is shared, enabling more context for decision making on incident response or requests. Issues are linked across Jira, integrating data from other software development tools, giving IT and Ops more data with which to make the most informed response.
The rich assortment of features in Jira Service Management support this dramatic shift to a platform which enables virtually any team in an enterprise to participate more powerfully in DevOps and service functions and in how incidents and requests are managed. Here are some highlights:
- Incident Management. Integrates with Opsgenie in all cloud plans. On-call scheduling, alerting and incident swarming are included. It also integrates with Jira Software, Bitbucket, and Confluence to seamlessly orchestrate incident resolution processes that span development and IT operations teams.
- Change Management: Teams can make smarter decisions around changes to services, with richer contextual information – incorporating both software development and infrastructure-related tools. Enables automated change risk assessments, advanced approval workflows and integration with CI/CD tools like Bitbucket Pipelines, Jenkins and CircleCI.
- Better Visibility: Being built on Jira gives teams and the broader organization visibility into work happening across the entire company. Together with tight integrations to other Atlassian products and its more than 900-plus integrations and applications on the Atlassian Marketplace, teams have all the contextual information at their fingertips to make informed decisions.
- Lean Teamwork: Teams can categorize service requests, incidents, problems and changes, prioritizing requests in a single place, thus keeping on track with goals or service level agreements (SLAs). A bulk ticket action feature and machine learning knowledge enables intelligent categorization of similar tickets, and faster action.
- Agile Response: Dev and Ops teams collaborate at high-velocity so they can respond to business changes and deliver great customer service experiences, fast. Customers can send requests by email, a customizable help center or an embeddable widget.
Collaborating at Speed
In developing Jira Service Management, Atlassian said, “So we took a hard look at the core ideals of Agile and DevOps: move fast, work in small batches, break down silos, automate where you can. And, most importantly, ensure that processes adjust to the needs of teams. We asked ourselves how we’d design an ITSM solution that incorporates these ideals and helps unify development, IT operations, and business teams.”
Working with our DevOps and IT customers, we know that the time is right to make not a small shift, but a significant, powerful shift like Jira Service Management. DevOps can flourish in this leaner, faster more collaborative ITSM environment. We are pleased to be working with Atlassian and helping our customers reap the benefits of these changes via Jira Service Management. More informed, leaner teamwork, teams across the enterprise being able to take more ownership of their ITSM needs – these are great strides in delivering the promise of the digital enterprise.
Reach out today to jumpstart your high velocity ITSM operation.